Sunday, November 27, 2005

Amazon.Com, I love you

Where were we before the internet existed? How did we survive without email? Online shopping?

Between last night and this afternoon, I was able to finish 80 percent of my total holiday shopping. And this stuff was not crappy last minute decisions - they were well thought out choices. Why? Because the online stores are getting so sophisticated and organized, they can help you funnel through ideas until you find a reasonable number of options to select from.

Amazon.Com's "Gift Ideas", where you can find choices organized by type of person, interest, price range, etc - helped me save loads of time. Same thing with Gap.Com. You do not get this simple tool when you walk into a store - you just get sheer frustration looking at tons and tons of things. Mostly useless things.

And to think that only a few years ago I would drive to stores, fight for parking, run through cold and snow, fight with fellow shoppers. No more. Amazon saved me from that.

Not that I will totally live in a cave and never go out again, I still have to shop for some small items, and for supplies (cards, paper, etc), but now I will not feel as pressured - I can enjoy the season.

No comments: