Saturday, March 11, 2006

Why I love Tony

This Sunday, an American icon returns....


Tony Soprano rocks

I am not a big mafia story fan. Although I loved the drama of the first two Godfather movies, I was never very interested in other stories.

And for that reason, I avoided "The Sopranos" furor of 1998/1999. It was everywhere - the first two seasons of "The Sopranos" had taken the world by storm and the world was getting ready for season three. It was everywhere - photos in TV Guide and other magazines made it impossible to avoid. And one Sunday night I was flipping through the channels looking for something to watch and then, boom, there it was.

I knew it was "The Sopranos" - I had never seen it, but I knew. So, I started to watch. And, like many others, I was caught.

This show is NOT a mafia story. It is not a crime story. It is an old fashioned story, about a family and its interpersonal realtions. The characters just happen to be in the mafia.

We watch these mobsters deal with the events in their lives - and we often forget who we are dealing with, until Tony suddenly shoots a kid he has hostage with the zeal of a ten year old killing ants using the sun and a magnifying glass.

Regardless, it is one of the best shows on TV in recent years, and it comes so rarely. I am tickled pink knowing that I have four months to enjoy it.

No comments: