Friday, March 03, 2006

Mechanic Syndrome

As an IT professional, one who often responds to user problems, I often encounter "mechanic syndrome" - when you are experiencing trouble but the trouble miraculously disappears when you bring in an expert to deal with it. I suppose it is only fair that it happen to me too.

I get my car back Wednesday after three weeks in the auto body shop and it looks damn good, even though the back of the car looks brand new and the front looks four years old. The very first day I get it back, the "check engine" warning light comes on.

You know, there is probably no less informative gauge light than this. I refer to the owners manual, which instructs me to "call my VW dealer", so I do. I tell them that the light has come on. "Is it flashing?", they ask me. "No", I answer, "it is solid". "Well, that's good", they reply. So of course I have to ask, "what would it have meant if it was flashing?". They tell me I would have to pull over, abandon the vehicle and call for a tow. "Thank god for solid engine warning lights then", I responded.

So I make an appointment to bring it in the next morning, and profusely apologize to my employer for all the last minute time out I need due to this car. I decide to take this opportunity to have the dealer address other petty things, like an annoying squeak, a suspicious clatter and a strange groan. These things have been bugging me for a while, and had planned on having them checked before the accident.

So I get up really early this morning to bring the car in. The Check Engine Warning light? No longer on. The annoying squeak? Suspicious clatter? Strange groan? All quiet. So they take the car for the day and check it all out - nothing wrong, they say. At least I have "peace of mind" they say.

Yeah, right.

No comments: