Monday, April 19, 2010

It's About Time, Part 1

Tonight, the Discovery Channel's show "Sci-Trek" is going to explore how time travel could actually happen.

This is good, as I have personal need for time travel and look forward to its availability. But even if I did not have that need, I would support any effort to explore the feasibility of time travel. Because the concept itself is just so damned cool.

However, I can see how the introduction of time travel into the mix could cause some problems. I have watched enough "Star Trek" to know we can't all just go around changing events in the past, right? Other than me, that is. It is the whole "step on a mosquito one million years ago" problem after all.

I know what you are thinking - "it's time travel", you'll say, "if we screw something up we can go back again and fix it". "Hmmm", I would respond then ignore you. Although this worked well for Doc Brown and Marty McFly, I do not see it working in real life time travel applications. In order to manage the process and avoid the accidental elimination from very existence some Earth based life forms (such as us), we must create an international agency to manage it.

Naturally, Jean-Claude Van Damme will head this agency. Until this organization is created and in place, be wary of any day-to-day changes around you. They could be caused by rogue time travelers.

That is, unless you run out of time .....


No comments: