Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fruit Flavored


I have been experiencing an annoying problem lately with my iPhone (my most important appliance), so I decided to take it to the Genius Bar.

The Apple Store is a scary place. Since the start of my PC to Mac conversion (which you can read more about here), I cannot escape its clutches without spending money there. It is almost like I have to pay to leave. I walk in and am immediately surrounded by pleasant sights and sounds, friendly smiles and that ever present Mac lover attitude that there is nothing better on this Earth than something produced by Apple (which might not be wrong).

But I am determined not to spend money! I purchased AppleCare for this device and intend to get it fixed without cost and not buy any unnecessary accessories (or yet another MacBook). So I proceed directly to the Genius Bar and do not look around (despite the fact that the MacBook Pros immediately started to call to me and the new 24" iMac kept taunting me all the way from the second floor).

The problem I was experiencing was a major problem for me. When listening to music for more than 30 minutes or so, the Voice Command would start popping up, looking for input. Every time it did, it would force me to hit "Cancel" to get my music back - and NOTHING gets between me and my music!

Some quick online research indicated that there might be a problem with my headphones (and particularly the microphone for for the phone part). I knew this was probably the cause, as I have sent my headphones through the laundry at least five times. Of course, I did not tell the Genius who attended to me about this fact, as I was fairly sure this info might void my AppleCare coverage and plan for getting a free replacement. The Genius did give me a new headset, but also spent some time explaining (in detail), how I could completely restore my iPhone to eliminate any software glitches. I smiled and nodded a lot, as I had already done this and only wanted my free headphones.

I escaped as soon as I had the headset, but naturally stopped at the accessories wall and bought my second case (I need color options...).

1 comment:

Jack said...

Update - the replacement headphone seems to have resolved the problem without having to restore the iPhone to factory settings!