Sunday, January 01, 2006

"Brokeback Mountain" for Best Picture

The partner David and I went to see the movie "Brokeback Mountain" last night before heading out to ring in the New Year.

I am not a big fan of love stories (gay or otherwise), and went to this more for David than because I wanted to see the movie. I certainly had heard of it, and that it was supposed to be so good. I thought it would be something nice for us to do together on New Years Eve.

Well, it moved me. It is a brilliant movie. Now you might say that I cannot objectively say that, being a gay man in a long term deep relationship. But I really think I can. Because it was not just about the love between two men that makes this movie work so well. It is beautifully filmed - the breathtaking Wyoming background actually is a character in the movie itself. The acting is Oscar worthy - both of the principal actors showed remarkable range. The story was well written, sensitive where it needed to be and almost disturbingly graphic at the right moments.

This movie deserves the accolades it is destined to get, and I hope you will go see it. You will be moved. But I do warn you, bring your tissues.

No comments: