Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Birthday Weekend

I have an upcoming birthday. One of the "milestone" birthdays, in fact. My fabulous friends Keri and Jen treated me to a truly fabulous night of fabulousness.

The weather was really nice Friday night here in Boston - springtime warmth. And I, on autopilot of some kind, completely missed the correct stop on the T's Orange Line. Rather than get off and then back on, I decided to walk. It was a nice time right through Boston Common, past the frog pond watching the skaters and down to the Park Plaza Hotel.

At the Hotel I met the girls at Bonfire where we had some fancy cocktails (well, I had wine, but in the giant goblets I love so much). We sit down to dinner and who do we see across the room? More friends of ours from UMass! Also celebrating a birthday (the same milestone birthday).

So this cracks me up a lot, given that we are at this fancy, expensive restaurant. You see, years and years ago (well, some years ago), we all used to go out drinking and eating when we were in school. To pay for it in those days, we often got together whatever change or loose dollars we could find that we made from our part time convenience store jobs. So this night it kind of hit home that we really had "grown up" - we were dressed up, eating and drinking some fine food and wine.

It was awesome. The partner David was not up for joining us, but I brought him a goody bag from the restaurant which he greatly appreciated.

Saturday morning I slept later than usual, given the rather large amount of wine I consumed Friday night (hey, it was for my birthday, I keep telling myself). In fact, I felt pretty foggy all day Saturday. However, that all cleared up when I met a friend later at Machine for beers and shots.

So Sunday I sweat it all out at the gym - at least that is what I like to tell myself, but given how much wonderfully fun debauchery I experienced over two straight nights, I was pretty surprised how much stamina I had. For some reason I could not stop watching the Steelers game on TV either. I mean, I did not really want to watch it, but it was on and I was doing cardio and I got lost in the thing.

No comments: