Friday, December 16, 2005

Reverse Commute

Who the hell came up with this expression?

Recently I changed jobs. Everything about the change made sense: outstanding professional growth opportunity, exciting work environment, challenging job duties, interesting and fun co-workers and the ever important dramatic increase in compensation. There was just one questionable change - instead of the 2 mile subway ride to work every morning, I would be driving 25 miles.

Not that I have not commuted by car before - I have. In 1995/96, I even commuted 55 miles each way "against traffic". But it had been ten years, I was not prepared. But not to worry, I was told, I was going to be "reverse commuting" - you see, apparently if you live in the city and work in the suburbs, you do not have any commuting headaches. Huh!

In the time up to my first day, I eagerly prepared for my "reverse commute". I pranced giggling into the Mass Turnpike's "Fast Lane" office (known as "Speed Pass" everywhere else in the US) to finally belong to that elusive club of drivers who could drive right through the tolls. I cleaned out my car, and even filled the tank with gas. I was so excited for my new "reverse commute". I naively believed that I would gayly speed up 128 North from the Pike, looking at all those suckers sitting in traffic trying to get to Boston. NOT.

Instead, in one week I have experienced a snow storm, an ice storm, a "wide load" vehicle that smashed into a toll booth causing miles of endless backup (even for us special Fast Lane transponder holders).

If we, in New England, have a truly awful snowy horrid winter, you can rest assured that the reason will not be atmospheric, or planetary or meteorological in any way. It will just be fate - the fact that it is because this is when I chose to "reverse commute".

Love,

Jack