Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Low Windshield Wiper Fluid Warning

Is this really necessary? I have a 2002 VW Jetta with pretty much all the normal options. I made sure that it had everything that I wanted - asking all the right questions to be sure I would be happy. One question did not occur to me though. That question was "Is there an unnecessary warning that will bellow so loudly and unexpectedly that I will pee my pants when it sounds?" I wish I had asked that question.

Granted, windshield wiper fluid is a good thing. At this time of year, it might even achieve "important" thing. But when you run out, you know. And unlike gasoline, when you run out, your car still functions. A light on the dash indicating "low" is good enough, the terrifying siren is over-doing the criticality of the event. In fact the whole thing is equivalent to the low gas light and alarm - and, sorry, the wiper fluid does not rank as high on the list of critical fluids as the gas.

On a semi-related note - when will they finally begin to make the windshield wiper fluid reservoir in your car the same size as the refill containers they sell at the store? I mean, what remains in the damned replacement after filling the reservoir almost seems pointless to store - it just ends up making all kinds of noise bouncing around the trunk, doesn't it? Is this one of those things like when the air filters of the command module and the L.E.M. did not match in the Apollo 13 disaster?

No comments: