Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Nemesis = School Bus

In the city of Boston, apparently there are school bus stops every fifty yards. For the children, this must be extremely convenient. For me, it is something else entirely. NEMESIS.

You know, when I was a kid, it seemed you had to walk half a mile just to get to a bus stop, if you were lucky enough to be inside a "bus zone". In fact, for a while because my family lived almost, but not quite 2 miles from the school, we had to walk the whole way to school.

But these days, kids do not have to walk at all. Some probably walk out the front door in the morning and say to themselves, "which one will I stand at today? The one 25 yards to my right, or the one 25 yards to my left?" Decisions, decisions.

I, though, face other choices regarding these school buses - do I get up extra early this morning so that my drive takes me only 40 minutes, or do I leave at a more decent time and plan on a 1.5 hour drive? Because if you get caught up in the sea of yellow at the beginning of their terror, you will be stuck good.

I am struggling to find a way out of my neighborhood and onto the highway that will avoid these masters of traffic nightmarity, but so far, it appears I am well surrounded.

No comments: