Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Breakdown Lane

When driving to work each morning, there is one exit from Route 2 in Lexington that takes me onto Route 128 North. Each morning, the traffic that is trying to get onto Route 128 South backs up and blocks the exit going to 128 North, so I inevitably end up in crawl traffic for a short distance until my exit pops up.

There is a break down lane here as well. Many people will decide to bypass waiting in line like good little doobies and just drive down the breakdown lane to get onto the exit. But there is a problem with this treachery. Just before the exit, there is an overpass and a slight turn to the right. Just behind this overpass, a state police officer dutifully waits and makes the drivers in the breakdown lane pull over for punishment (because there is nothing better for him to do). There is no warning and no room to escape (unless you pull a Thelma and Louise). This does not happen every morning, but often enough to know not to take any chances.

This morning, the slow crawl was particularly bad, and as I came to the overpass, I saw the state police officer acting all kinds of authoritative, having pulled over three people already. In my rear view mirror, there was this Cadillac barreling down the breakdown lane, blissfully unaware of what awaited him - arrogantly thinking of how he was blowing us all off. Suddenly, he sees the cop! The directional comes on and he tries to blend back into traffic, but guess what? No one would let him back in. Pissed, he was forced right up to the officer, who dutifully pulled him over - this happened about five cars behind me. I was highly amused as I watched the look on the driver's face. At the same time, it made me worry that such behavior could cause a sudden accident if he tried to force his way back in - thankfully he did not.

The best part of this is that a "No Driving In Breakdown Lane" sign is right there.

No comments: