Saturday, February 11, 2006

Parking Wars

So, we thought we could get off with an easy winter this year, but our arrogance defeats us:


Of course, I live in the purple area, right alongside the gray bubble

Naturally, this storm is occurring over the weekend, so it can interfere with my ability to go to the clubs instead of my ability to go to work.

I am not looking forward to the Parking Wars. Street parking in these situations generally is reduced to 10%. And once you have shoveled out your car and created a space, you have basically lost it. I love watching the people in their cars cruising the area stalking you as you shovel, waiting for you to take your car out so they can steal the space. In the past, I just leave my car there and take the subway, but not this year, now I need my car every day to get to work.

I know I can "mark" my space with a lawn chair or something - but I know I cannot rely on that. In these extreme circumstances, that shoveled space is the most valuable piece of real estate on the hill. I will still do it, but will be sure to use something that I do not mind losing.

So far I have avoided major conflict in this area, but have witnessed it.

This is the only thing about winter that I really hate. I don't like cold or snow, but I really hate the Parking Wars.

No comments: