Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Finally getting the car fixed

I've gone dark recently - sorry. Have been dealing with some things - some good, some not, but all taking lots of my time (thank God for wine). One of these things, the damage done to my car by a reckless truck driver will finally be dealt with tomorrow.

I am just praying the car comes back in good shape. I have nightmares of Dateline hidden camera investigations about what goes on in auto body shops. I almost expect to hear Jane Pauley or Stone Phillips voice saying "we'll return to Jack's story following the Dateline timeline".

Supposedly I am dropping off my car and will be given a rental car of equal quality for the duration of the repair job, which should take three weeks.

I was originally told that this rental car would be paid for by the other party's insurance company, which has assumed 100% liability. However, once I contacted the adjuster and told her that my car would be out of operation for three weeks, she is backtracking (almost as fast as the Bush administration following Goober-in-chief's suggestion we break our addiction to oil). Never the less, I have given the rental car agency their billing information and intend to stand and fight.

I never asked for anything more than getting the fair repairs to my car, and the ability to still drive while my car is in the shop. I did not pretend to be injured (I could have, right?), I have not exaggerated the damage. So why the hell is a few hundred dollars so important suddenly? I mean the damned insurance company (again, not mine, which has been very helpful) has tons of money and I am squat to them.

No comments: