Sunday, July 13, 2008

Generation Kill

HBO's new mini-series "Generation Kill" is based on Rolling Stone reporter Evan Wright's best selling book about his experience as an embedded reporter with the first recon marines during the early days of the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

This is a true story being told from the point of view of an outsider who was allowed to ride along and write what he saw. As a result, we see a very narrow view of the Marines as they carry out their mission. When the war started, I very hesitantly supported it. I had a very hard time believing our president, even this president, would commit our men and women to war without a good reason. I also had a brother in the Marines, and he was part of the initial invasion. He was, in fact, part of the first recon Marines being depicted in "Generation Kill".

So 5 years later - we know there were no WMDs, no harbored terrorists and the tentative faith I put in George Bush that month have been replaced with contempt and a desire to see him in prison. And my brother survived this invasion, and a second deployment to Iraq a year later. And I am a fervent believer in ending our involvement with this war. But I do watch this series and see what it wants to tell us, because they were doing what they do, and I want to have an open mind about it.

I suggest we all do.

No comments: