Monday, July 21, 2008

Facebook, Part 2

Man this Facebook stuff is addictive! A quick recap of my first month:
  • Contrary to what I expected, I actually have reconnected with old friends that I have not heard from in many years. In fact, it has been fun. That alone has made the awkwardness of setting up, revising and re-revising my profile worthwhile.
  • Currently, I have 70 "friends". Some of my "friends" have hundreds of "friends". Some of my "friends" are people I have spoken to once or twice. Ever. People I have hardly ever spoken with have accepted my friend requests and conversely, people I hardly know have sent me friend requests (which I eagerly accepted). Do not get me wrong, I would be friends with these people under any circumstances. Most are traditional friends, and the rest are people I would be friends with. But I completely see how cyberspace has changed what a "friend" is. Maybe I just take the whole friend thing too seriously.
  • I learned too late that every profile change you make is broadcast to your "friend network". I managed to find the control panel for controlling that behavior (I am in IT after all).
  • The social gaming online in Facebook is completely addictive. But what in Cyberspace is not?
So if you are on Facebook, drop me a line, maybe we can become "friends".

No comments: