Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer Solstice

On Fathers Day, one of my Brothers and I visited my father on Cape Cod for a nice waterfront lunch. He mentioned that his neighborhood association was going to have a "Solstice Party" on the first day of summer (today).

I asked him jokingly if there would be dancing around a bonfire inside a circle of stones. He smiled but did not deny it. He did say there would be a fire, but that it would be the one cooking burgers and hot dogs.

OK, I can totally get the "any excuse for a party" rule. Mine is called "Friday". But if you are going to have a Solstice Party, I personally feel you should observe some simple druid rules:
  • There must be a bonfire. It should be in the center of festivities and be at least 20 feet high.
  • One virgin must be present (gender is irrelevant). Just be present, nothing else, god what is on your mind people?
  • Chanting is required.
  • A minimum of one High Priestess must be present.
  • No Witchcraft allowed.
  • A semi-circle of 3 ton granite blocks set on short ends will represent the party boundaries.
See? Very simple. Get with the program.

No comments: