Thursday, July 13, 2006

Switching Gears

It's happened to all of us at some point - waiting to take a turn in a busy intersection, only to have the light turn red and being forced to sort of "slink back into position" in reverse.

Well today I get behind a woman trying to make a left turn. The light turns red and suddenly on come her white reverse lights and backwards she comes. I do not even know if she looked first. Fortunately, a quick check of the rear view mirror showed that no one was behind me so I threw the car into reverse and backed up to avoid getting hit (new car syndrome).

I was annoyed - the unexpected tension in my shoulders from the scare was not welcome. After settling down, I noticed that she was still in reverse (those white lights). So, not taking any chances (and still having no one behind me), I throw the car back in reverse and start backing up. When I do this, she looks at me in the rear view mirror and I can see this cluelessly puzzled look on her face. She looked like she was irritated with me and wanted to know why. Well, bitch, you would find out soon enough.

So, the light turns green and sure enough she lurches backwards and slams on her brakes. I had given her like thirty feet of clearance (hence the puzzled look on her face), so nothing actually happened other than her embarrassment.

What could have been a legal matter turned nicely into a laughing matter (for me).

No comments: