Sunday, May 09, 2010

Bad Medicine

If Edie Falco does not win an Emmy for Outstanding Actress in a Drama (or is it comedy?) for "Nurse Jackie", I will kill myself.

OK, not really.  But this new half hour dark comedy from Showtime is one of the best new shows in ages.  And Edie Falco is great in it.  Even better than when she was my one time favorite television matriarch, Carmela Soprano.  What Falco does as Jackie is make us feel sympathy for a character who steals drugs, does them on the job, cheats on her husband (to facilitate the stealing of the aforementioned drugs), and lives a double life.  I have even read that her character is a very accurate portrayal of what a functional drug addict who is trying to hide her dark side might actually be like.  Kind of scary.

But another great thing about this show is the excellence of the supporting ensemble cast.  I do not think there is any character on this show that I do not enjoy watching (except maybe Kevin and Eddie - because I hate them).

I know where I will be on Monday nights - All Saints Hospital.

No comments: